Since 1889, VU has been a two-year university, although baccalaureate degrees in seven select areas are available. Unlike most other two-year higher-education institutions, however, the VU’s campus in Vincennes is a residential campus and has been since its establishment. VU was chartered in 1806 as the Indiana Territory’s four-year university and remained the state of Indiana’s sole publicly funded four-year university until the establishment of Indiana University in 1820. From 1999 to 2005, Vincennes University was in a state-mandated partnership with what became the Ivy Tech Community College.
In 2011, Vincennes University opened the $12 million Center for Advanced Manufacturing located near Fort Branch, Indiana. The facility significantly enhances the training facilities currently in existence at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana Plant between Fort Branch and Princeton as well as at the Gibson Generating Station, near Mount Carmel, Illinois, to meet the regional growth of demand with the expanding industry both in Gibson County and in the immediate Evansville area.